Monday, December 10, 2012

Let's Hear It for New York

Today my story is... I'm missing New York City. Mara, author of A Blog about Love, one of my favorite blogs, posted the video (below) a while back (I was catching up today); watching it made me miss NYC so much.

I never thought me and NYC would ever have a relationship. Honestly, moving there was kind of an "I don't really know what I'm doing but it feels like the right thing to do" experience--the kind that requires great trust and courage. I turned my life upside down (quit my job, sold my house, etc) to follow this feeling....

I arrived in NYC with great apprehension and uncertainty. KShum, who had moved there in 2011, and I spent time exploring the city...and I fell in love with it. With all of the peculiar, crazy things you'd find only in New York. And with the people!

When I was offered a temporary job back in Utah, I wrestled with the decision for almost a week: I needed the money...but I didn't want to leave the city I loved. Practicality won out, and I returned to Utah. Unfortunately and fortunately I guess, that temporary job turned into another...and I've been here longer than I thought I'd be.

But I'm going back.

Soon.

Thanks to Mara for posting this video, for reminding me why I love NYC so much: the diversity and quality of the amazing New Yorkers!



P.S. Back in September I had the privilege of hearing Danny & Mara speak at a young single adults' conference near Lincoln Center. I arranged my teaching schedule to ensure I could hear them--and it was sooooo worth it! I couldn't take notes fast enough; I'm still pondering some of the insights they shared. And Mara was so kind when I spoke to her briefly after the conference concluded. Let's hear it for New York...and the wonderful people there!

No comments:

Post a Comment